Monday, April 27, 2009

Will Farrell's Influence & Jacoby the Jet

At the risk or wasting all my good material in one day, I can't wait to get the following three items out there and off my chest. Firstly, there were two great Will Farrell influenced moments in sports this weekend. One was all the comparisons between Brian Scalabrine, wearing a protective headband since he returned from a concussion, and Jackie Moon, Farrell's character in Semi Pro. I searched forever but couldn't find a picture of Scal with a headband, but I found one of him recently without and when compared to Jackie Moon without, they like still look alike:


The second Farrell-related thing was the best. Carl Edwards suffered a crazy crash while fighting to keep his lead on the last lap at Talladega, flipped his car, then got out and ran on foot to the finish line. Re-read that sentence. He did the real life Ricky Bobby in Talladega Nights. Clip is right here:






And finally the last - but certainly not least - item I have for you is regarding Jacoby Ellsbury. After Ellsbury swiped home last night, my old roomate texted me "Benny the Jet Rodriquez" in honor of the star player in the movie The Sandlot who famously stole home ('The Jet Stole Home!'). While the reference was only in relation to the steal, in my head I kind of remembered The Jet when he was younger looking like Ellsbury. Looked it up today and picture it's the same guy. Here's Benny the Jet, aka Young Jacoby Ellsbury:



Finally, we'll leave you with this little nugget. I thought the officiating was a little one-sided in yesterday's Celtics game. I just had no idea how much. From the Herald:

"At least one member of the Celtics entourage was taken aback at the sight of the officiating crew exiting the United Center. Two of the three members of the group, which consisted of Danny Crawford, Bill Kennedy and Marc Davis, were spotted with their families decked out in Bulls gear.

Kennedy ejected Celtics coach Doc Rivers from a game in Chicago on March 17, and two days later was fined (as was Rivers) for his actions."

---Nick

3 comments:

  1. are we sure he didn't play Benny "the jet" b/c that is ridiculous

    ReplyDelete
  2. I saw him steal home and that was the first thing I thought of ...Benny the Jet with his Radio Flyers.

    Scal and Will Farrell could be related. Both are funny in their own ways as well.

    ReplyDelete