Thursday, April 16, 2009

Scouts Worried About Ortiz, So Am I



Damn this blog feels negative lately but hey, Im passing on what interests me. This is from Buster Olney (whos blog on Insider I highly recommend) today...

David Ortiz pulled a line drive down the right-field line on Wednesday afternoon, the ball skipping close to the foul line before Travis Buck dug it out and fired it to second base. Ortiz, seeing that the play might be close, tried to gather speed before sliding into the bag, feet-first. Safe.

For Ortiz, this was his first extra-base hit of the season, in 34 at-bats. He's hitting .176, with a .206 slugging percentage in this small sample of games. Over a larger sample of games -- from 2007 to 2008 -- his OPS dropped almost 200 points, as he coped with a wrist injury.

It's early, of course, and there are weeks and months left for Ortiz to find his Big Papi opposite-field power stroke that made him one of the most feared hitters in baseball. But here's the part that has to concern the Red Sox: He looks as bad as his numbers indicate. Opposing talent evaluators are stunned by the regression in his bat speed, by how different a hitter he seems to be compared to what he was in his prime.

Personally Im waiting for him to show up on the tested positive list. Forget the roids though, either way the bottom line is that I don't see Ortiz returning to his old superhero form. I think he has aged and declined, I dont think he is just starting slow. He probably still has something left, but not 40-50 HR seasons. Its something I would love to be wrong about. But if not, it changes the dynamic for this team and its something I want to talk about.

I agree with something Simmons brought up in his podcast the other day. That this year, though the team should be really good, it doesn't have any single superstar big enough that you would "pay to see" if you will. Guys that make Fenway buzz during every at bat. You would pay to see Clemens, Pedro, Manny, Ortiz, few others. Guys with enough star power that you immediately log in your fan memories and tell your kids about. I know it probably seems like a stretch to some of you, but I really believe it.

Having such a white lineup without any 40 HR threats is sure a part of that feeling too. Maybe more than I realize. I hate this new Ortiz who complains about not having protection with Youk. I think that attitude is more about Ortiz being stuck in a locker room that he doesn't identify with. Maybe Manny and Ortiz played off each other off the field as much as they did on it. Now it seems like a lonely Ortiz and his declined skills are grouped in with the other reserved "good but not great" players, and hes not happy about it.

As good as Pedroia and Youk are, they aren't guys who you cant change the channel on during an at bat like Manny was. Not many people are. I guess its a combination of talent, personality, star power, swagger, reputation, and confidence. Without vintage Ortiz and without Manny, this years team doesn't have that element and I miss it. (Then again it might just be me hating to root for goofy white guys)

Pedroia is a player I will enjoy for the next however manny years (unintended freudian slip), Youk is a hitting machine, Bay is very good, Beckett could be great, and Papelbon is the one guy who I love and might qualify as the "pay to see" player. I just miss the combo of Manny and Ortiz more than I expected to. I wish this team was a little more diverse in terms of both stats and color. I'm worried about Ortiz and I am selfishly craving another eccentric slugger in the lineup every night.

Forgive me if I don't feel bad if we trade for Miguel Cabrera later this summer.

-Wolfie

1 comment:

  1. Wait, you mean because the Sox are the ONLY team in MLB without one African-American? Don't try to tell this to stello, though. He'll spin it that this is Theo's plan in the long run and that the Yankees would spend more for any black guy we bid on...

    ReplyDelete