Sunday, April 12, 2009

The Champs Are Here

Since I'm the only one who posts on the weekends, I'm going to make this my own little self-fulfilling post.

Last night, BU hockey became the best team in the land, coming back from a 3-1 deficit with less than a minute to go to win the National Championship in overtime. Just nuts. Words cannot describe the comeback. It really is one of the greatest ever in ANY sport.

BU pulled its goalie with 3-and-a-half minutes left in the game. What? Crazy. When a goal with 59 seconds left pulled the Terriers within a goal, I thought too little too late. But oh no. Hobey Baker winner Matt Gilroy pulled a silky deke move and set up Nick Bonino, who was parked right in the slot. Goal. With 17 ticks left on the clock. Is this real?

My phone blew up with a flurry of "Can you believe this???" texts and calls. You gotta love sports in the 21st century. Anytime something sweet happens, you're immediately in touch with tons of people, even if you haven't talked to them in months.

The OT winner -- fluky has it may have been -- was sweet justice for the best team in college hockey all year. This team deserved to win. It had the most talent, and had equal amounts of heart. Stacked on D and with plenty of O, this team led wire-to-wire. Colby Cohen's shot that deflected off a player and popped up into the net sealed it. Fifth title for the Icedogs and first since Drury and the boys pulled it off in '95.

Another title for Boston and just another reminder of why I sweat this city. I sometimes wish I had been smart enough to go to a school out west or down south. Maybe a football school where they get hammered and tailgate all day and then pack a stadium with 70,000 people. Or maybe a school where the basketball team is expected to win 20 games every year. Alas, I chose a hockey school. But for one day anyway, we were on top of the college sports world. For one day, I was proud to be a Terrier.
Today might be a day for pastels, but I'll be rocking Crimson.

--Nick

2 comments: