Saturday, January 10, 2009

WKFTB Exclusive: Joe Lauzon Interview



Joe Lauzon is a professional fighter in the Ultimate Fighting Championship. He is fighting in the main event of UFC's Ultimate Fight Night 17 against Hermes Franca on Feb. 7 on Spike TV. This is a very big fight for our hometown hero. The winner will have some serious momentum in terms of buzz and respect in the LW division. Joe will be doing a ton of interviews soon but he was kind enough to give the first one to the hometown cats so enjoy.



Wolfe: Hey Joe, thanks for taking the time out to do us a favor and give us an interview. We know you will have to do about 84 to 85 thousand more of these before the fight, but this one is for the EB (East Bridgewater) boys. So the fight will be the main event of UFC's Fight Night live on Spike TV Feb. 7. Tell us a little bit about your opponent, Hermes Franca. What style of fighter would you say he is, and how do you think you match up with him in terms of style and skills? Does he fight anywhere near your tempo?

Lauzon: Hermes Franca is a bad ass. Guy is a black belt in Jiu-Jitsu, heavy handed on his feet and doesn't always press the action, but the moment you get tired he is there to take advantage. Guy is super dangerous but his pace is the exact opposite of mine. I press the action from the start and try to wear people down. I just need to be careful I don't wear myself down and give him that opening he is waiting for. I think I have the right attributes to make it a tough night for him though. He is like 5'6"... I am 5'10". We both will make 155 but I will be a lean 165 by fight time and I think he will be a little heavier but softer. I think on the ground we are competitive; I think on the feet he hits harder but I throw faster and straighter punches. I think it has the makings of a great fight with one of us getting beat up.

Wolfe: It seems like you and Franca were both on the fast track to the belt (Franca beat Spencer Fisher and Nate Diaz back to back to cap off an 8 fight win streak before losing to Sherk) but each had a setback. You with a loss to Kenny Florian and Franca with the steroid suspension. Now whoever wins this one is right back in the title shot conversation. Would you agree or disagree with that?

Lauzon: I think its a pretty good assessment. I was fighting to win a title shot though while Hermes actually did fight for the title. He made it further than me but I will bounce back higher when all is said and done.

Wolfe: In your last fight you kept it standing and traded with Kyle Bradley almost the entire fight. I heard you did that to conserve energy in the first round. Regardless, you do seem more and more comfortable on your feet as your career progresses. I remember being at your first MMA fight, right when you turned 18, and you literally had zero interest in standing up. I know since then you have worked hard at it and have come a real long way. Can you tell us a little about what you like to do when youre on your feet in the ring these days?


Lauzon: I put a lot of time into my standup now a days. The Kyle Bradley fight was all about showing that I could hang where he was most comfortable. I knew I was going to have the advantage on the ground but didn't want to rush it and get caught with something stupid. When I started out fighting I was just using punches to set up my takedowns. Flailing a few wild punches and shooting worked back then, but it's all changed now. Everything I throw is to hurt you on my way in. I knocked out Pulver because I changed from using punches as a distraction to using them to do some real damage.

Wolfe: OK Joe, I gotta be honest. I don't think we saw the real you against Kenny Florian. To me it seemed like you just gassed early and that affected you a lot more than any elbows to the head. Would you love another shot at Kenny? Or have you moved on and there are other fighters you would rather fight more?

Lauzon: It was whole bunch of things... altitude, nervousness being main event for the first time, getting elbowed in the head and losing my takedown... whole bunch of things that didn't go my way. It just wasn't my night. I am not getting hung up on it but I would love another fight with Kenny.

Wolfe: Alright, the rest of the questions will be a little lighter. Some of my friends were wondering this and the guesses were all over the map so set us straight. If you and your brother Danny fought full out UFC rules, how many times do you win out of 10? I'm going with 7. Also, his standup seems pretty impressive these days. With his size and kicks, is he better on the feet than you?

Lauzon: I think I win 8... because Danny gasses real bad and I would have a tough time in the beginning but as we went on more I would catch him easier. His boxing is better than mine, but I know his game better and can stop most of what he does. My biggest problem would be dealing with his power, but when he has to make 155 its not as much of a problem as when he is 180.

Wolfe: Speaking of Danny "The Upgrade" Lauzon. He fights a tough fighter in Chris Horodecki on the Affliction card Jan. 24. How good do you think Horodecki is? And Im not sure if you are allowed to comment on it or not, but how is the Affliction league looking? Is there more talent than WEC [World Extreme Cagefighting]?

Lauzon: I think Horodecki is awesome. Kid is super talented and its really going to be a war between two rising stars. I think Dan is going to bully the hell out of him though... Dan is just too big and hits too hard. Affliction has some promise with the guys on their card but they are nowhere near as organized as the UFC. The UFC has a few shows a month whereas Affliction is just getting their feet wet. UFC is far more mobile and can adapt and make changes. Affliction is much slower moving but as I said, has some potential. For now, UFC is king and is what Affliction is hoping to be. UFC also has a WAY deeper talent pool. Look how many great 155'ers there are in the UFC. Affliction has two: Dan and Horodecki. They have a long way to go.

Wolfe: Fedor Emilianenko, widely considered to be the best heavyweight in the world, is with Affliction. Do you think the lack of success of the Pride guys in UFC puts his merits into question?

Lauzon: Fedor put an end to those questions when he played with Tim Sylvia like my dog with a chew toy. He is definitely a bad ass. You are right about the Pride guys not performing -- the UFC has far better athletes and their cardio is much better as a whole. Pride was about a beating and the UFC is a sport.

Wolfe: I love how you put that. Give us two fighters in the UFC right now, who haven't yet fought for a title, that you see having a really bright future in the game.

Lauzon: Lyoto Machida at 205... and I am going to jump to WEC and say Josh Grispi (who is from Mass.).

Wolfe: Who is the best grappler you have ever rolled with and who is the best standup guy you ever sparred with?

Lauzon: Best grappler and best striker is BJ [Penn]... never felt so helpless in either position.

Wolfe: Whats the real deal with money being paid to the fighters? What are the undercard guys getting as opposed to the top names? Is anyone clearing a million for one fight?

Lauzon: Some of the higher ups are clearing a million if they headline a PPV and get a piece of the buys, but those are the only guys. The money is getting a lot better though and it won't be long before more guys are making that kind of money.

Wolfe: Was it tough agreeing to do this interview knowing that one of our writers (his name rhymes with lake) claims that he had your number in many fights while growing up?

Lauzon: Well... the only real fight is the one where I broke his nose with the same hook that took out Pulver. I don't count the times I was jumped mid-play in football. So no, it doesn't bother me at all.

Wolfe: If we gave you 300 dollars and washed your car twice, would you mention our blog when Rogan interviews you after the fight?

Lauzon: I don't think so... however... I will post this on my MySpace, Facebook and website when you get it up.

Wolfe: Sounds good. So Joe Lauzon decides to order some local takeout, what does he get and from what restaurant?

Lauzon: The 99 in Bridgewater is like my second home. We used to always go there before fights but now we go at least once a week after training. Place is the best.

Wolfe: Im not sure about the food choice but thanks again for taking time out to answer some questions from the local boys. Good luck against Franca. Anything else you would like to add?

Lauzon: Thanks guys... check out my MySpace and send me a friend request, and go to my website and sign up for my newsletter!
___

Here is a highlight of Franca and one of Lauzon below that. 









2 comments:

  1. I cannot wait for Dan and Joes fights. I think that the length of both Dan and Joe will be a major factor in their fights. Dan looked like a monster next to Hordecki, and after seeing Dans last 2 fights live (if you can even call them fights, more like clinics) dudes stand-up is legit. I think Joe is gonna work Franca to death, Franca's compact size makes him a power threat, but its nothing that Joe hasnt already trained with. I am definitely bias to the Lauzon bro's.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Shit that left hook you threw Pulver on that highlight reel does look real familiar.......my nose started throbbing after seeing that thing again.

    ReplyDelete