Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Paying Homage: Kurt Warner


Im not going to rip off a thousand word column like I've been guilty of lately. Actually in general I am going to try to save the long posts for articles, not blogs. 

I do want to give homage to my boy Kurt Warner today.  In fantasy football I drafted Leinart very late and then picked up Warner off waivers and planned on playing whoever won the starting job but I was rooting for Warner. I came up with the strategy because I looked at how Warner had a better 2nd half of 2007 than Tom Brady. Plus that AZ system was going to get 4000 through the air with 30 td's.

So what happened? Warner was in the MVP debate this year after throwing for 4583 yards with 30TD's and the highest qb rating since he posted with the 2001 Rams and third in the NFL this season (ahead of Brees, Peyton). He carried my fantasy team to a 2nd place finish. And if it didn't snow in Foxboro in week 15, it might have been a first place finish. But this wasn't meant to be about fantasy, it was meant to be about how under appreciated Warner has been throughout his career.

I knew the majority of these stats anyway but I was reminded of them when I was reading an article on espn today. Warner has always posted good QB ratings but people have still thought of him as a stopgap in NY and AZ. A lot of people forget he even played for the Giants. Well how about the fact that the passer rating Warner posted in his one year in NY is higher than any rating Eli has posted since. 

So Warner had the third highest career QB rating in the NFL this year right? Well he also has the third highest career QB rating in the history of the game. 28,591 yards? 65.4 career completion percentage (2nd all time)? A superbowl ring, a superbowl MVP, 2 time NFL MVP, 4 pro bowls?

I think Warner is a hall of famer, no joke. He wins one or two more games this postseason and Canton is an absolute lock. Plus it would take a few more paragraphs to explain how charitable of a man he is. Heres to you Kurt, good luck Sunday my angel in shoulder pads...

-Wolfie




No comments:

Post a Comment