Sunday, January 18, 2009

A Theory on Aftermath

(Guest blogger Anthony Flum, a self-professed Eminem nut, gives us his theory on the future of Aftermath and its stable of artists.)



For the first post I write for this site, I thought I’d tackle a subject I’ve been thinking about for some time now.

After following this blog for a few weeks, I thought there was a certain subject that probably didn’t get enough attention. The song was posted by Perk, but I felt it could have used some insight.

Because Eminem, 50 Cent and Dr. Dre released a song TOGETHER. “Crack Bottles” is the first single (if they decide to use it as such) these three have ever released together. The only other mainstream song they’re all featured on is “Encore” from Eminem’s fourth CD of the same title.

Why now? Rumors abound of the three releasing CDs within months of each other and taking over the rap game in 2009. We also heard the same thing in 2006, 2007 and 2008, however; and it’s hard to believe it’s actually going to happen this time.

You have to ask yourself if Eminem and Dre are actually ready to release CDs. My personal theory – and I have many of them – is this song was meant to drop a lure in the water -- see how the Eminem, Dre and 50 Cent fan base reacts.

And my reaction, as an enormous Eminem fan, a decent Dre fan and an iffy 50 fan is this – the guys are back. That’s what the song is about. If you think about it, the words, “crack a bottle,” almost imply the beginning of a party.

They’re ready to take over. I think this song would achieve mild popularity – it’s not particularly poppy enough to sit on the top of the charts like a “My Name Is” or “Real Slim Shady,” but it’s catchy enough where it could create a buzz.

Obviously, Eminem murders the chorus. It sounds like he’s actually enjoying rapping again. During this semi-retirement / period of recluse, his style has been all over the place. If you think about his verse on Ca$his’s “Pistol Poppin’” or “Smack That” or even “Touchdown” with T.I., it barely sounds like the same guy. Not that he wasn’t killing it, but it just didn’t sound like Eminem.

This new stuff sounds like Eminem. And that’s why I think he leaked the original version with him rapping Dre’s verses as well. Even though I’ve read the reports saying someone stole it from him before the project finished, I have a hard time believing an empire like Aftermath can’t keep its unfinished products from hitting the streets.

If you think about it, the big deal on the original unfinished version was that Eminem was rapping Dre’s parts. Then, even though everyone who was going to hear this song probably heard the Eminem unfinished version already, Dre still uses Eminem’s verse in the finished version.

Why?

Because Aftermath is trying to make a statement. You’ve got Lil’ Wayne saying he’s the best rapper alive and the last few years have seen T.I., Wayne, Kanye and Jeezy take over the pop rap scene. This isn’t even mentioning T-Pain, who basically wrecked music with the auto-tune. Thanks a lot for inspiring “808s & Heartbreak”, buddy. Nothing like turning Kanye into a singer to make me hate the auto-tune forever.

Getting back from that little tangent, it’s my theory that Dre raps the exact same verse because he wants everyone to know Eminem is still the best. You don’t think Eminem could have come up with another verse for Dre? Of course he could have. But I think Dre’s point is this: “Listen, I got it from the best, I don’t care that you already heard it. I want you to know that I can get verses from anyone I want and this is who I choose.

Even 50 Cent has a decent verse on this song. And it doesn’t take a rocket scientist to figure out who wrote it.

My whole point is we should be on the lookout for the CDs. It hasn’t gotten to the point where Aftermath’s stable of artists are irrelevant, but they certainly don’t have their grasp on the pop scene as they once did in the past.

So crack a bottle, sit back and wait for spring. We could be watching a resurrection to power.

(Or Eminem could make another Encore, try to pretend to be gangster again, make a bunch of songs with hella childish lyrics and then disappoint us.)

1 comment: