Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Our American Idols

First off, let me state that everyone has their right to an opinion. But if your opinion is that you dislike American Idol…you’re just wrong.

It’s not just a singing show. It’s a performance show. It’s an entertainment show. And most importantly, it’s a show about human emotion. That’s really what separates it from all other reality TV (which I personally despise). It’s not contrived emotion like most reality shows, it’s genuine, sincere emotion – from absolute elation to sorrowing heartbreak and everything in between. It’s really the main reason I watch it. I love seeing people make it and how happy they get and, I have to admit, I love when chooches, tools and bitchy/crazy girls get the boot and flip out.

In honor of tonight’s Final 36 episode, and because of are weirdly strong female readership, I’ll give you my favorite contestants that are left. (Note: these are a mix of my personal favs who have a chance of winning, not just straight personal favs, otherwise Nick Mitchell is in the house, and not just the favs to win, because there's no way Anoop is getting in here).

If you watch Idol, feel free to agree/disagree with a comment. If you don’t watch it, consider this your cheat sheet it you start. And while it’s a travesty that Jamar Rodgers got cut – better than maybe half the people left? – here’s WKFTB’s Magnificent Seven:

Casey Carlson
OMG, she is most definitely the hottest contest left, and maybe in the show to begin with. This former model – see pic – is only 20 and from Minneapolis, Minnesota. And you may not believe me because everyone is initially a little weary about the Midwest, but I spent a weekend in Minnesota and let me tell you: they have some of the HOTTEST girls. I don’t know what it is, something in that Twin City water. Oh yea, she can sing too.

Matt Giraud
After watching all the audition episodes in a row online (probably the best way to do it now that I think about it) he was my favorite to win. He isn’t now (see below) but he’s still unreal. Not only does he kinda look like Jason Segel, but this piano bar player can absolutely kill the vocals, and he’s even better with his instrument. Not the best person to root for because he’s had plenty of music experience, but he seems like a good dude and should def make it to the next round at the very least.


Danny Gokey
One of my 3 favorites to win it all. After his first performance during Hollywood Week, Paula told him he’s “ready to go record records” and I couldn’t agree more. He might be my No. 1 in the competition because of his story. He lost his wife not too long ago and struggled to tell the story on national television. His boy, the aforementioned Jamar Rodgers, helped him get through it and the two tried out together and stormed through the contest to the latest round. Rodgers got peaced for no reason, but Gokey should make him and his wife proud. He’s got to be one of the last ones left or America is clueless.


Adam Lambert
My other favorite to go far, this guy initially put me off with his emo look and his “musical theatre” singing style, as said by Kara DioGuardi, the shows’ fourth and newest judge. But after hearing him in Hollywood Week he’s honestly one of the best male singers I’ve ever heard. He kills it. The type of voice that induces goosebumps to those who appreciate singing. Trapped between rocker and pop star, he definitely needs to find an image. Still, he has a great chance of winning it all.


Jasmine Murray
It just so happens that by listing these 7 alphabetically, I got my favorite three in a row. Nice. Jasmine rounds out my favorite 3 with a female presence. Only 16, her age may be what sends her home, but she has a pretty mature voice and look, and perhaps a little of that Jordan Sparks magic. A radiant smile and pop-ready voice, the black Nicole Tardie surely has the complete commercial package.


Lil Rounds
She probably had the best audition out of anyone, but Lil Rounds got a Lil Risky during Hollywood Week, with what Randy Jackson termed as an “up and down” performance. I’m pretty sure he was just saying that to keep her humble. She killed it and she’s clearly one of the best. Cut from that Fantasia/Jennifer Hudson cloth, she’s almost a mix of two, with the great vocals each possess, but minus Fantasia’s annoying nature and Hudson’s weight (sorry, but how else do you explain how she didn't make the top 3 that year). I like her chances.

Vonn Smith
The last person from the list almost didn’t make the cut to the Top 36. He overreached with some weird songs in Hollywood, but his final performance, a stirring rendition of Steve Wonder’s “You Can Feel it All Over” sealed the deal. He explained how his first song his parents wanted him to do and his last song he went against what they felt he should sing, then he proceeded to throw them under the bus during his interview. Kinda sweet. I liked this kid from the start. He has tremendous range, although he tries to stress it too much, but the high school class president is well-spoken, charismatic and well-suited to make a run at this.

--Nick

1 comment:

  1. i spit out my water when i read black nicole tardie, rlol

    ReplyDelete