Monday, February 16, 2009

NBA Stuff - Dunk Contest Edition




The NBA All Star game, like all AS games, are pretty hard to get into. Still, I like seeing the best in the business mess around with each other and crunk some alley oops. Tonight wasn't bad. I am more of a fan of the three point and dunk contest though.



I liked how King James was getting interviewed and announced that he is entering the 2010 dunk contest. I really miss the big names from throwing their names in. Dwight Howard is one of the best players in the game and I think that him being involved as the main attraction has brought the contest's popularity back from the catatonic state its been in since Richardson last won it.

The video below is Lebron, Melo, Pierce, and VC at the high school dunk contests, pretty cool. Its too bad that Melo and Pierce packed on a good 30 pounds and dont have the ups that they used to (no big deal, just sayin check the air).



Its hard for a tall guy to look that good in a dunk contest just because dunking 10 feet seems too easy. Dwight Howard is freakish enough that he can pull it off. Howard once dunked on a hoop that was 12ft 3in. He would be in my handpicked dunk contest for sure, but who would the others be if I could pick the 2010 lineup? Give me Lebron, James White, Howard, and Josh Smith.

Kobe can throw down pretty hard but hes so good in real games that his dunking could only be disappointing. Kobe And the Nate Robinson thing was kinda cool but it was too much of a novelty, and novelties get dull fast. VC might have been the best but hes well past his prime, so is Jason Richardson's knee. An honorable mention would be Andre Iguodala. I like seeing him glide and slam. A thing to remember when trying to decide who would be the best is that there are probably 10 or 15 guys with verticals approaching 50 inches, so a lot does come down to creativity, fluidity, and showmanship.

Look at Lebron in warmups man. His ups are just spectacular. Im pretty sure he isn't even going all out here. Its crazy how he has put on so much muscle since coming into the league and hasn't lost any speed or ups.



This is James White. He is still in the D-League but I watched him in the college dunk contest a few years back and was blown away. A lot of the players say hes the best dunker in the game right now. Too bad thats pretty much all he can do because you need to be able to dribble to graduate from the D-League. Still, this is my custom picked contest so I'll pick who I want.



I already talked about him above, and this is the last youtube (or ill get called into Perk's office and be reemed out), but here is Howard practicing for last year's contest. The sheer size and power makes this maybe my favorite video out of all of these. He should get a car on the court next year and sky over that. (Edit: kinda been done before I guess)



Lastly I would go with Josh Smith. This kid is a decorated veteran and I love watching him throw it down. Thats him in the picture at the top of this post. His nickname is J-Smoove which is incredibly ghetto, but when hes air-born he actually is smoother than a babys butt. Smoovy reminds me of Larry Nance, Julius Erving, or even Dominique. A long explosive leaper that likes the windmill type stuff to show the hang time and power.

-If you're into the NBA at all, I would recommend checking out Bill Simmons annual Trade Value Column. I am a huge fan of Simmons anyway, but his NBA knowledge is actually his strongest subject in my opinion.

-Simmons has been saying for a couple years that they should add horse to all star weekend and they finally did this year. He was criticizing it though because of the fact that they put young guys out there for it who aren't super confident and have the necessary swag and experience to talk trash and take it serious. Picture Kobe, Pierce, Garnett, Iverson types out there mic'ed up. That would be unreal to me.

-I have a lot more NBA stuff I want to talk about but this is getting a little long. Ill come back to some things soon. Hope you enjoyed some of the dunk clips. Leave some NBA thoughts in the comments if you'd like. I think I'll do a post on Amare tomorrow too.

-Sir Blogalot

No comments:

Post a Comment