Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Weezy F. Baby


So I finally got around to reading last month's Rolling Stone feature on Lil Wayne, that was so highly recommended by everybody. I have to say, if you didn't think he was out of his mind before, that cements it. Although, unlike with Kayne, you respect his craziness for some reason. I guess because it feels more legitimate.

Anyway, here are some highlights so you don't have to read the whole thing:

-Weezy doesn't actually write his blog on ESPN (I know, shocking). He's interviewed once a week by someone at The Network who then turns his thoughts into a blog entry.

-He keeps pre-rolled blunts -- rolled by his assistants, not him -- in a Swisher box so he can have the at all times.

-As of press time, he had recorded 50 songs for his new rock album, Rebirth, which comes out in June. His manager and boy is swifting through the songs now.

-He claimed to have gotten his high school girlfriend pregnant when he was 15 because his mother was lonely after his stepfather's death and wanted another child to raise.

-He has people for everything. Driver. Chef. Manager. Road manager. Assistants to roll his blunts, help him take his jewelry off, even cut his steak when he's in the studio.

These were some of my favorite quotes. Some directly from him:

"Wayne smokes weed the way other people smoke cigarettes; he's got a blunt going pretty much every moment we're together, though he never offers to share."

"Wayne describes himself as a 'compulsionist.' He likes to have the same fruit plate every day, the same cookies, his Swishers waiting for him neatly rolled. And, of course, a night is rarely complete without a trip to the studio."

"I always believe that to be the best, you have to smell like the best, dress like the best, act like the best. When you throw your trash in the garbage can, it has to be better than anybody else who ever threw trash in the garbage can. Michael Jordan is that type of person. Tiger Woods. Roger Federer. Muhammed Ali. Malcom X. Martin Luther King. Obama. Frank Sinatra. John Kennedy. Basquiat. I study those people."

"The rock shit just comes from what my life is now. I've grown into this person. I woke up one morning and had three or four women in my bed where I not only didn't know their last names, I didn't know the beginning letter of their first names. All I know is they're the most beautiful women in the world, and I was in my own place in whatever city I was in. And I could have thrown a dart at the map, and I'd probably have a place there, too. I knew my driver was waiting downstairs for me. When my nose finally cleared from all the weed I had smoked, I smelled food in the kitchen and knew it was my chef. Then I look on my phone and see a message and know it's from a popular woman everyone knows. And when I went in the studio that night, I couldn't just rap. 'Yeah nigga...' Now, this is who I am.

"I've never said 'Lil Wayne is going to rock everybody.' I just got - I'm not going to say so good at what I was doing, but it became such a regularity for me that I got tired of it. And then said, 'You know what? I'm not going to rap on this one.'"

"Honestly? I don't want to be the best rapper in the world. Not now. If I have a rap album I'm dropping, then I want it to be the best rap album. But I want to be the best. Period. Now. My favorite rapper hasn't done what I'm doing."

--Nick

No comments:

Post a Comment