Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Relapse Part 2

OK so we had to stop listening to the next song because in a conversation with my boy Anthony (he of the epic Em post 2 weeks ago) we were wondering if the British guy in the Intro was anyone famous. We figured Em would sneak someone in there, right?

Well, he did. And his name is fucking McNulty. Or, Dominic West from The Wire. First of all, how the F did these two get together? The parallels are uncanny. Both became famous for being one of the few white people in a black word. Both sometimes speak in accents foreign to them. And both are fuckkinnnn illllll.

Stay Wide Awake: Damn I’m loving this beat and hook. By the way I might be the most DUCCCKED up I’ve ever been on a Tuesday afternoon at 5pm in my life. I think the track is ill but damn….Wam can you put out something this good??? Really think you could….

Love this song. Second fav song of the CD so far. The baseline of the song reminds me of Clint Mansell’s Dead Reckoning, the song that plays at the end of Smokin’ Aces and before some sporting events. I’m beginning to like this album more and more as I listen on. It seems really well-thought out.

Old Time’s Sake: These guys have good chemistry together on a track. Whatever they do it just works….kinda like me and being ill. I like Dre getting on their first and rhyming a little bit, I wonder if Detox will hit stores before I turn 40.…time will tell.

Dre and Em reunited again. Let’s put it this way: it’s no Forgot About Dre. But then again, what is? I wonder if Dre even wrote any of these lyrics?

Must Be the Ganja: This was a different type of Eminem party song for some reason…..you don’t really hear him straight up talk about smoking “ganja” and that type of shit that much even on his last couple of Cds, I wonder why he switched up like this?

Must be why Jake asked me the name of this song 3 times. Must be why I saw 20-25 people scoop this CD during the 10 minutes I was standing by the Best Buy counter. Must be why we don’t have 9-5 jobs. Must be how Eminem can think of some of this shit. Must be why this song is fire.

Déjà vu: This is one of the songs I have no idea about going in…literally haven’t heard one thing about it and it makes it better. One of my least favorites so far to be honest….but I do have high standards of Em. I think at this point I feel like I’m waiting to hear the best track on the CD…nothing has pulled away as my favorite yet.

Took a little longer than expected to get this far because we took 20 to watch the “Suck It” videos below. Anyway, I like the déjà vu title with the whole Relapse theme. He mentions that he started using heavy when Proof died, which makes sense. Just straight popping off about sleeping pills and mints. I wonder if he’s still really sober or not. Does anyone know?

Beautiful: Whoa what is this…sounds ill right away. Em is most believable as a broke down dude…this sad and depressing flow suits him for some reason, and I think he always kills this slower shit. The beat has me hooked and him singing the chorus is risky but definitely works in this one. Bottom line, very good song.

Glad I chose not to listen to this song when it was leaked. Because this was a little surprise treat that I didn’t expect. I was waiting for his slow jam, his “Hailie’s Song” or “Spend Some Time.” This is it. I love when Em does slow stuff for some reason. His flow is real and he normally -- as is the case with all three of those songs – producers them himself.

Crack a Bottle: We have all heard this one before, it was the first and most leaked and all that…..I would definitely say it’s catchy and I guess you can’t go that wrong with Em, Dre, and 50...no matter where they are in their careers right now does not take away from the fact that they were all GIANTS at one point in the game. Good choice for a 1st single I guess, but nothing that blows me away.

The very first single off the album. 50 and Dre are good. It still holds its own but, I’ll admit we didn’t listen to the whole thing.

Underground/Ken Kaniff: Eminem closing the CD with some hate type music….I think this song is really ill lyrically, he killed it a couple times. Anytime he spouts of like this I’m a fan, it’s usually when he’s at his best no matter what he is talking about.

LOVE the traditional “A lot of people ask me…” The beat and chorus are pretty epic, which I’m always a fan off. Nice strong ending. Meanwhile, I’m fading hard at this point as we approach 7 p.m. You just can’t go this long in the day without a lil nap. And I still have to go out tonight? Really? Well, at least I got this CD to slam when I come back to.

Oh, and the return of Ken Kaniff is priceless. Wooo, Perkinssss boyyyyyyyyy.


--Jake and Nick

No comments:

Post a Comment