Friday, May 8, 2009

ManRam: The Numbing Experience


Yesterday’s news that Manny Ramirez failed an MLB test for performance enhancing drugs and will be suspended 50 games understandably sent shockwaves throughout the New England region.

Like him or hate him, everyone has an opinion on Manny. And yesterday was certainly no different.

Some people said they were happy. Some said they now are numb to anyone being a PED user. Some said at least he didn’t do it in Boston. Others said he’s been using all along. A few actually believe that he made an honest mistake, and didn’t purposefully cheat the game. And a few more said that this was the last straw of “Manny being Manny.”

Me?

I loved Man-Ram as much as anyone. Through the good times and the bad. An apologist to the fullest degree, I couldn’t even hate him after what he did to get out of Boston.

Do I think he used in Boston? Not really. Do I think he accidently made some sort of pharmaceutical error? Absolutely not. I guess in a weird way, I have no opinion of it. I’m too tired of this now to be outraged anymore.

Sosa, McGwire, Bonds, Clemens, Palmeiro, A-Rod and now Manny. All the players our generation grew up with – all the BEST players – used ‘roids. Picture that. You grew up in the steroid era and at this point, do you even care? Is there a legitimate chance that all the best players from our generation won’t be in the Hall of Fame?

Crazy, right? But I think this actually helps people like Bonds and Big Mac. You can’t keep all of these guys out, can you? It would be a poor representation of baseball, keeping out the top players of an entire decade or more. These are the MVPs, the All-Stars, the Cy Youngs and headliners of the sport. At some point, when the old sports writers die off or retire and the new blood comes in, I think most of them will get in.

I never would have thought this, oh I dunno, 3 months ago. But since A-Rod and Manny have both been painted (and tainted) with the steroid brush, the rules have changed. It’s not whether or not they deserve to be in the HOF, it’s more of an issue that they HAVE to be. A shrine to the best players in the sport would be a shame without, you know, the actual best players.

As one name tumbles out after the next in this self-absorbed witch hunt, we’ve learned that it wasn’t just a few people who were doing this stuff. It’s what Jose Canseco said, and what we probably knew, all along. And I don’t know about you, but I’ve finally accepted it.
--Nick

1 comment:

  1. all I have to say is I am the biggest Manny fan and this is not making me change my mind about him. I LOVE THE GUY. Yes I hated how he ended his career in Boston but this 50 game suspension is not in any way gonna make me think different of him. And, I have one thing to say about the best players in our generation on roids....Ken Griffey Jr.........If it comes out he was on roids then holy fuck my whole child hood was alie.

    ReplyDelete