Monday, July 27, 2009

UFL: Underrated or Chooch?


I feel like the UFL -- the United Football League -- is such a secret thing.

It's a little underrated that there will be another professional football league in America this year, no? I'm not saying it's any competition for the NFL, but I don't even think Arena is playing this year, plus it's during the NFL season, just during Thursday and Friday nights.

Remember the XFL? Failed after 1 year, but I actually loved that shit. Tommy Maddux was my dude. Ended up winning the MVP and then coming over to the NFL the next year and killin it for a bit with the Steelers.

The thing with the XFL was that it was just a little too gimmicky. Stuff like the bull-rush instead of the coin toss was a little too much. Could a league succeed if it planned regular ball -- 11v11, outdoors, 100-yard field -- and just altered some of the NFL's shitty rules? Perhaps. I'd love to see excessive celebrations and defenders actually able to hit the quarterback again, but that's just me.

Actually, I just did some digging and found three major rule differences between the UFL and NFL:

1) No 'tuck' rule

2) Both teams get to possess the ball in overtime

3) No intentional grounding

The first and third don't do much for me. But I LOVE the second one.

Plus I just love to watch pro ball. Hey, I did say I sweated the NFL. With just four teams, the UFL could still have a decent level of talent. Say what you want about JP Losman, but that's a decent name to get over there to start. At least we all know him.

The only major problem I see is the organization. A lot of team-building (in the literal sense) needs too take place before the season opens in October. They had a draft in August all ready, but are going to wait until after NFL training camps to scoop up players who got cut. Plus the players drafted by the league in June was like you and your buddies getting together and fake drafting the best of the players you think wouldn't catch on in the NFL this year. The only difference being the UFL can contact them and see if they want to play.

"Uhh, hey, we just drafted your rights for this new league. Wanna play?" That's pretty much how it goes.

Some of the "marquee" names from the draft: DB Adam Archuleta, QB Brian Johnson, QB Brooks Bollinger, DB Mike Doss, CB DeJuan Tribble (BC alum), and my favorite, TE Jermaine Wiggins.

But my favorite part about the league is the coaches. I don't know how much money they paid Jim Fassel, but the Las Vegas coach is pretty much the face of the league. Facing off against him will be Ted Cotrell in New York, Jim Haslett in Orlando, and hopefully providing us with a slew of new Coors Light commercials, Dennis Green in San Francisco.

I like leagues that keep people in work and give dudes a second chance. He Hate Me, anyone? That's a good story, right? Maybe I'm reaching here....

Anyway, vote in the poll to the right if you think it's underrated that there will be a new football league this year or if, like the XFL, it's pretty chooch and won't get off the ground.

--Nick

No comments:

Post a Comment