Thursday, July 16, 2009

Thursday Throwback: Pogs

(Every Thursday WKFTB will bring you a throwback, something that reminds us of our late-80s-early-90s childhood. Today's edition: Pogs.).


Looking back, Pogs were probably one of the gayest things ever. But damn it they were popular. I'm ashamed to say that I myself had tons of these things. Because they were popular, I used to collect these cardboard circles along with "slammers" with flaming skulls, 8-balls and other weird stuff on them.

People used to get in beefs in school about Pogs. Some people would play for keeps, stealing other people's fav ones away. There were countless types and knock offs with thousands of images, but you just couldn't get away from the 8-ball or skull. Seriously what was with the friggin 8-ball; it fadsinated people. The Ying-Yang was a beast too. Thing was everywhere.







And I don't even know how to play the game. In fact, I don't think i ever did. Tried Wiki-ing Pogs but it didn't explain how to play ethier. i know you stack them, then bundle the stack with the slammer. That's about it.

If I have to guess, I think that after they go flying, you keep the pogs that have the logos showing and restack the ones just showing white. Seems too simple though. But hey we were idiot kids back then.

Would this have been the illest slammer?


The Gods of Pogs




---Nick

1 comment:

  1. My slammer had my name engraved in it. shit was tight.

    ^kate

    ReplyDelete