Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Hitch a Ride, Bro

You know what I saw today that I hadn’t seen in literally years? Actually, do you know what I saw TWICE today?

Two separate people hitchhiking. Yep, thumbing a ride.

I couldn’t believe it. In this day and age, do you really think someone is picking you up, bro?

Picture there’s negative chance, not even zero, that I’m scooping you. Call me heartless if you like, but there’s only one thing I have to say: there’s a reason why you are hitchhiking, dude. You think you’re sane and have everything together if you’re sticking your thumb out on the road hoping a complete stranger pulls over and lets you in? Doubtful.

There’s a real reason why you don’t have a car or someone to give you a lift. Sure maybe there’s 1% of people who are just down on their luck or having a bad day. But most people can just call a friend/relative and get a ride in those situations. Or public transportation. Or a bike.

You know who can’t call a friend/relative? Killers. Drug addicts. Insane dudes. Hey, I’m just saying. I’m not trying to get cut up and broadcast on a weird internet site. F that, bro. And I think most people feel the same. That’s why it’s weird that I saw two people doing it today. In this time of insecurity and general distrust of people we don’t know, the culture is just not prime for it.

Plus like it or not, you could just get murked.

Has anyone ever got risky and picked up a hitchhiker?

--Nick

3 comments:

  1. I picked up a hitchhiker one time. Really neat guy. He was dressed pretty decent and didnt look gringy. So i hooked up a ride for him to the gas station and he gave me a ten spot.

    ReplyDelete
  2. im sure you'd run into interesting people. some might even be interesting in the killer kind of way. hitch hikers = risky. check out the show "i survived" on biography channel. just saw one where a hitch hiker murdered and raped these girls but one got away. dont EVER scoop one of those guys if you are a girl.

    ReplyDelete
  3. hell no! i wouldn't pick up anyone ever, i ride around with my doors locked so no one can sneak in even, let alone open the door and invite The Hitcher in...anyone seen that movie? def would never after watching that.

    ReplyDelete