Friday, July 10, 2009

Oregon Trail & Wolfenstein

OK, so I was a little lazy/under the weather yesterday and didn't get to post. I know, I know, my inbox was flooded with angry emails from distraught readers from Marshfield to California asking just what the deal was.

Thankfully, we saw a strong return from Jared as he and Jake picked up the slack big time. There was even an unreal video posted up from Kate, who may or may not still be fretting over her performance review.

Anyway, to make up for my transgressions, I'm giving you a double dose of the throwback post. I have a few more words to say about Oregon Trail and I couldn't wait to save it for next week.


First, let me "size up the situation." At one point in your life, Oregon Trail was the best thing you could do, the ultimate reward for passing in a worksheet ahead of the rest of the class. If you got some free time on the huge old-school PCs, you were doing one thing: playing Oregon Trail.

The diseases and perils of travel always got you. From broken arms to malaria, someone in your group always got pwned. This was pretty realistic. I mean, traveling in the 1800s was no easy task. But the one thing I always hated was when you went hunting and beasted like 1,200 pounds of meat -- maybe caught the buffalo or something -- then they told you it was too much to bring back.

Really? We're traveling cross-country, ammo is getting low and you're telling me I can't bring back all this meat? Punishing me for beasting these animals and being ill at hunting? Let's make room for this shit. Peace out this barrel here, or maybe leave Mary with the broken arm alongside the trail because the bitch is no help to us anyway. Either way, I'm bringing this delicious meat treat.

---The second thing I had to bring up was another game from the past: Wolfenstein. This was a little bit after Oregon Trail, but not much. Back when everything didn't have to be politically correct and you could just blast away Nazis and Germans who were stereotyped. Pretty sure these graphics were breakthrough at the time:


The blood and gore in this game were also pretty risky for the generation period. As your health was going down, remember how your guy's face at the middle bottom screen would get more and more battered and bruised? Lol, love that touch. Look at that bro face btw. Guy's a savage.

This game paved the way for first-person shooters. With sweet weapons and a much of different levels, it set the tone for the basic hunt and kill shooters that game after it.

And OH MY GOD, don't EVER let your guard down at the end of the game, because you do not want to face this man unprepared:


Haha...one of the best pics on the Internet. Look at that dude heavily armed bull-rushing you. Shit, might have to scoop this game...

--Nick

1 comment:

  1. Williams, I fuckin die laughin at some of the lines in your posts. Pretty sure I used to make my oregon crew like "caroline, mary,::insert:: ugly girl in our grade, and id push her to the limit. Make her round up berries til she comes back sick "want to stop at store to get meds?" nah im tryin to kill the bitch so I can get a 3 way with besttt. Plus the river at the very end of the game was worth all the effort.

    ReplyDelete