Thursday, July 30, 2009

Thursday Throwback: Light Up Sneakers

(Every Thursday WKFTB will bring you a throwback, something that reminds us of our late-80s-early-90s childhood. Today's edition: Light Up Sneakers.).



Back in the day, it was a treat to be able to stay out past dusk. Getting to still run around and play during the night time was a gift to be treasured. Maybe even skip supper too.

The only thing that made it better was proper footwear that was comfortable and could light your way. And we gotta give props here, because it was LA Gear came up with the Light Up Sneakers. Look at that 80s Purple collection at the top. Woowwwiiee.

I'm not sure if I love or hate that I used to think those things were tight. But I'm pretty sure everyone did. I believe British Knights came up with a duplicate (BK Lights?) but none could compare to the originals. I couldn't find the ill commercial with the kid in the park, but I was able to at least find one old one:



You know how popular LA Gear was in general? Well the King of Pop himself endorsed them:

Also, we can't talk about these kicks without mentioning the prevailing rumor (trumor?) at the time: the kid who was caught by the police because of his light up shoes. Once you heard this, kids everywhere were hesitant to cause trouble with these suckers on. Didn't want people pointing and saying, "no it was the kid with the red light up shoes."

LOL, red light up sneakers. Sounds ridiculous to even say. Or so I thought...because during my research for this post, I noticed that, yup, someone brought them back. This past year, there was a relaunch of LA Gear Lights. Things like dece?


Did you own LA Lights or a similar set of light up sneakers? Let me here any awesome memories stories, if so.

--Nick

3 comments:

  1. i used to kill em in la gears. that and my starter coat. haha. hornest purple and teal.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Woooo. I feel like the Hornets was everones go to for some reason. I had one myself....maybe it was because Gran Ma Ma was so fiyahhhhhhh.

    ReplyDelete