Thursday, August 13, 2009

Thursday Throwback: Goosebumps Books

(Every Thursday WKFTB will bring you a throwback, something that reminds us of our late-80s-early-90s childhood. Today's edition: Goosebumps books.).

In the words of Eric Cartman: "awwwww sccarrryyyyy."

Goosebumps books were the choice of literature for any middle schooler my age who didn't want to read something real and enjoyed scary shit. R.L. Stine must have made a killing off these things. Because I'm pretty sure they had about 354,459745 different versions.

The covers were always badass and the writing was simple but effective. I cannot remember if they were actually scary or not. I'm guessing yes, but I wouldn't be surprised if no.

Call me a chooch if you want, but I loved the Scholastic book fairs we had in EB middle school. Used to load up on these books (plus MJ and Gretsky biographies and random posters and ish of Patrick Roy, Lemeuix, etc.) Plus because there were books, mom couldn't say no. Write that check, cause the kid needs some new gems from the Stinester.

I have no idea where all mine ended up. Maybe I still
have them somewhere at my old house. I do know my favorite one though, and it was the Lawn Gnomes (see right). Nothing scarier or funnier than some animated crit things coming after you. Woo.

And please don't even get me started on the vaunted "Choose your own endings" version of Goosebumps. I'm pretty sure those alone extended the shelf life of these things for at least another 3 years.

Sometimes you'd get pwned and end up killing yourself or doing something crazy by choosing a wrong step. Then you would most likely cheat and go back and choose the other option which was always awesome. Unless you made a wrong choose two chances ago, in which point you were F'd.

And those of us who were lazy could even justify stopping right there because technically, we did finish the book.

I hope there are others out there who enjoyed Goosebumps. Lemme know...

--Nick

4 comments:

  1. oh my goodness. i read probably every one of those. my fav were cuckoo clock of doom, scarecrow walks at midnight, ghost beach, night in terror tower, and werewolf of fever swamp. just looking at these book covers brings back mems. heart like races.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Man i use to kill these books when i was little, i had every single one but unfortunately my mom made me donate them to the library after i read them all about ten times. I thought the scariest one was say cheese and die.... super creepy. and when it became a tv series, the creepy music in the opening credits of each episode haunted my dreams for years, i still get chills when i hear it. i hope kids are still reading these

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow what a throwback. Every kid on the planet had every book. You guys should do an article on RL Stine. Guy has to be a super billionare or something. Or dead b/c he overdosed on all the drugs he did when writing these gems.

    ReplyDelete
  4. RL Stine made 41 million in 1996 alone.

    ReplyDelete