Friday, August 28, 2009

AOL follow-up

Thursday throwback might be my favorite thing to do. Not on the blog, but in life. It always brings backs mems and provides a sweet conversation piece, either virtual or in real life, with readers.

Couple things:

-YouTube is so great. I knew that if I did a search for 'AOL sounds' they'd have something. Wasn't a doubt in my mind. People make the most random stuff. Peep all the AOL sounds. I can't believe I forgot the best one...Files Done!! LOL get outta here with the dial-up noise. Used to have those sounds and intonations memorized.



-Remember the busy signal you'd sometimes get when you tried to dial in? Sacckked. Always thought you had a secret solution to it. "Nah, nah, I'll just try the Brockton number the Plymouth is always busy."

-And the most egregious omission from the post was the profile. How could I, purveyor of all things profile related, forget where it all started. AOL gave you a forum to show people who you were and what you were about. Of course, it brought the first forms of cyber-stalking, but in essence it was probably the first form of social networking, which like it or not is what might mark the 2000-2009 generation. Facebook, Myspace, et al. It's all people do.

--Nick

1 comment:

  1. Can U give me the all ?'s they asked you for your profile? I can only remember acpl. My fav was Computer Used:

    ReplyDelete