Monday, August 24, 2009

Pub Crawls, Sun Roofs and the Dentist

Saw some people doing a Pub Crawl a few weekends ago when I was working at the Tavern. Oooh a Pub Crawl, am I supposed to be impressed? Cause I am zero. Oh, you get blacked out and go to a few different places? I do that to. It's called a Saturday.

-Now that I'm into Season 2 of Mad Men, it's official: all my favorite shows make me want to drink. Whether I'm watching Don and Campbell swilling whiskey on Mad Men, the good people of Bon Temps downing beers at Merlots on True Blood, Turtle and Vince ripping shots on Entourage or Tony and Sil sipping wine on Sopranos, any time I peep a show On Demand or on DVD, I get the urge to drink.

It just makes you think how much alcohol is prevalent in a social context. A few weeks ago I was talking with the Blogfathers about this. We wanted to kill an hour or so before a movie and really didn't feel like drinking (shocking I know). But besides going to get a beer or walking around the mall, what else can you do?? Well we ended up getting a cup of coffee, aka the adult way of socializing. Coffee or beer -- that's all you can do when you're meeting someone to catch up or kill time.

-Is there a difference between a Sun Roof and a Moon Roof? Is there a difference in the type of roof window on your car, or is it just a different way for people to refer to it? Like is a happy optimist calling that thing a Sun Roof and brooding pessimist calling it a Moon Roof? Or is there actually a technical difference between the two? I need to knowwww..

-The dentist is awfully like the auto body to me. They can just make up whatever they want. Because, honestly, who the hell knows? I love the old Seinfeld joke that you can't argue with the mechanic:

"Oh, looks like you need a new Johnson rod, here."
"Oh cool, yea, a Johnson rod. Sure."

Because who are you to say otherwise? And most of the time you just want to get whatever is wrong fixed and get it over with. Same thing with the dentist. You dread going. You know there is a 0-10% chance of you actually leaving there with good to decent news and you're praying you don't get too porked. The mechanic tells you that you need to fix an old belt. The dentist said you have a few "soft spots" that need to be fixed. Sure. You can pry around yourself and take a look. But in both cases, you probably don't even know what you're looking for and even if you did, you wouldn't know what to do when you found it.

--Nick

1 comment:

  1. found out the difference between sunroof and moonroof when I went car shopping at the beginning of the summer.. but really they're the exact same thing.. just the moon roof allows you to see through the top without opening.. apparently some cars don't have that option even though they have a sunroof? I've yet to see one like that though ...

    ReplyDelete