Thursday, September 17, 2009

Thursday Throwback: Zubaz/Hammer Pants

(Every Thursday WKFTB will bring you a throwback, something that reminds us of our late-80s-early-90s childhood. Today's edition: Zubaz/Hammer Pants.)

For weeks Jake has been asking be to highlight "Hammer Pants" in the weekly Thursday Throwback. Having zero clue what these were, I chalked it up to him being sick and delirious for the 453rd time this year, pretended it was a dece idea and moved on to something else. It wasn't until today that I realized he was like righhhttt. Balla IM'd me saying "Zubaz" would be a good idea.

What the F are Zubaz? He sent me a pic:

Ohh that's right, those things. I knew exactly what it was then. I remember kids wearing these huge baggy softish pants usually in ridiculous colors and designs. Still a bit unsure, I called Wolfie to see if he knew what they were. He said yes and sent me a pic of him waring them back in the day:

See, both comfortable and fashionable, Zubaz were the Troy Brown of fashion -- they could do it all. Now you don't have to be that beast above to rock 'em. Many people did. Lots of middle schoolers, lots of people at the gym and particularly a lot of bros.

Successful people, poor people and everyone in between dabbled in Zubaz or Hammer Pants. Even unreal 80s-style athletes:

And that's back when the Dolphins were good. Coincidence? 'Fraid not my friend.

Of course, not all Zubaz were Hammer Pants and not all Hammer Pants were Zubaz. In fact, Zubs were just one brand made by a couple of gym dudes who wanted to give extreme roid heads pants they could fit in without them coming apart at the seams after a diesel power sled.

Hammer Pants were any kind of ridiculous baggy style pant made famous by, you guessed it, MC Hammer:


I actually didn't even own a pair of these. Not too sure why. Was I too up-tight? Was mom not down with these at JC Penny's or Filenes? Prolly not.

The good news -- for all of us -- is that Zubaz, the original, are back:



--Nick

1 comment:

  1. is it bad the mullet man with that half shirt practice jersey reminds me of kameese a little bit?

    ReplyDelete