Monday, December 29, 2008

Winless: Where Do We Go From Here?

So who in the world would want to coach the Lions? Believe it or not a lot of real life candidates would, and no I'm not joking. I'll lay out my plan and explain why insiders don't think its a bad gig and candidates aren't shying away from picking up where Rod Marinelli left off. (A team that hasn't won since they beat the Chiefs over a calendar year ago.) Wait a minute though, I should probably tell you who I am first because this is not Jake folks.

If you're a Bentley person, AKA Perkins secret/other life, you don't know me. Otherwise, you probably do. For the former, they call me Wolfie. I'm just one of Perkins boys from back home. I'm a decent sports nerd, have an opinion on most everything, and usually let people know about it through my keyboard (AIM=xxwolfiexx). Its my outlet. If Perk keeps up with this blog then you'll see more of me as a part time contributor. OK enough about me, lets talk about the only team in the history of the NFL to lose every single game of an entire season and why its the best head coaching job available.

I heard this idea from Mike Lombardi on a podcast with the Sports Guy, but they were saying if you are Detroit, you throw serious coin at Cassell, and I agree with that. I think if you land him, and hire a competent head coach, you are on your way to flipping the script in the Motown. Realize that its a good football city, and the owners (Ford fam) are loyal (ask Matt Millen) so you will be given time to turn things around. You wouldn't be working for Al Davis here. Also anything you do accomplish will be an upgrade from this year. Win two games and you're on a good track in terms of perception. Win 8 games and you are hailed as a savior, etc. The ceiling for success and accolades is high, and you don't stand to risk anything. 

In terms of personnel, lets keep going with the hypothetical that you sign Cassel. Now you have the number 1 pick remember, but since you have your franchise QB, you take a monster left tackle in Andre Smith from Alabama. So lets look at the offense. You have a good quarterback which is more than most teams in the league can say, a good young RB in Kevin Smith, a pro bowl problem child in Calvin Johnson, and now a franchise left tackle with your top draft pick. That offense behind a good coordinator wins 5 or 6 games on its own. Another little treat is that the Roy Williams trade was money in that it netted the Lions a first, 3rd, and 6th round draft pick. So with the other first rounder you scoop a blue chip pass rusher or a stud DB and the rebuilding process has begun.

Alright, thats it for now. Hopefully that didn't bore you guys. I also just saw on the ticker that the Sox signed Brad Penny for a 1yr 5m dollar deal. In a market where teams are locking up tons of money/years on question marks, this signing looks great to me. No real risk in it and Penny could be very good. Im sure Perk will throw in his 2 cents on that tomorrow though. Oh yea I should probably say something about hip hop in my first post too so let me just say that Jamie Foxx melts any track to me and peep She Got Her Own with Ne-Yo. Lastly, since Perk usually signs off in a cute way I'll toss out this toast after I just watched 25th hour and NYE is upon us.

"Champagne for all my real friends, and real pain for all my sham friends." - Monty Brogan

One.

-Wolfie


No comments:

Post a Comment